The Difference Between a Smart Man and A Wise Man
A smart man makes a mistake and learns from it…
A wise man finds a smart man and learns how to avoid the mistake altogether.
As a ministry leader, I learned the value of working with consultants. I hired people to help me who knew my business better than me — and I learned from their experience. Finding individuals who are experts in their fields and utilizing them to help grow and manage your organization is a wise decision.
By hiring a consultant, you have access to deeper levels of expertise than would be financially feasible for you to retain in-house on a long-term basis. Moreover, you can manage your budget on consulting services by only purchasing the specific services you need. Consultants can often be hired on either a retainer or a project basis.
The question is, how do you find the right consultant? Here are a Five Qualifications to look for in any consultant you hire:
- Character – be sure the consultant you hire is in individual with integrity who has a sincere desire to help you and your organization.
- Depth of Experience – Be sure the consultant has experience with the specific needs that you have. No one can be an expert in everything. Often, working with an agency is a good solution because by hiring one agency you can appropriate the experience of the entire team.
- Proven Problem-Solving Skills – Be sure the consultant has a track record of resolving issues and moving their clients forward and not just perpetuating billing.
- Outstanding Communication Skills – Be sure the consultant can communicate clearly. They should be able to break complex issues down into manageable portions that are clearly understood by leadership.
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills – Be sure the consultant can inspire your team through the process of change and improvement. Just having a plan is not enough. The team needs to be coached and encouraged.
Consultants bring an external perspective to an organization. This is so important. Every leader has a blind spot. They likely do not know it is there because they can’t see it… That is why is it called a blind spot! A consultant can reveal what the leader cannot see — and provide strategic solutions to seemingly unsolvable issues.
Be wise… Find a smart consultant and learn how to avoid mistakes that can hold your organization back. The right consultant can be the best investment you ever make.
Let Infinity Concepts provide the expertise you need to succeed!