Arguably the most important tool in my technology arsenal is my iPhone. Currently, I am using the iPhone 6+ — but I expect to upgrade soon. More importantly, however, are the apps that make my iPhone so valuable. I have many apps on my iPhone – perhaps too many. However, I thought I would take a moment to share a few of the apps that I use every day to organize my life and improve my productivity.
COMMUNICATION & INFORMATION
Whether I am catching up on the latest news or communicating with a client halfway around the world, these apps form the foundation of my iPhone arsenal.
- Apple Mail – I have tried a number of other third-party email apps on my iPhone, only to come back to Mail. While I use a different email program on my laptop, I find that Mail serves me well on my iPhone.
- Apple Messages – Texting has become a common means of communication among my staff and clients. The basic Messages program provides a simple solution to this type of communication.
- What’s App – Much of my work involves communication with people in other countries. What’s App is a great tool for texting, phone calls, or even video calls with overseas contacts.
- Bitmoji – For a bit of fun with some of my messages I include a personalized avatar from Bitmoji.
- Zoom – For audio or video conferencing, my program of choice is Zoom. Great quality and stability, even overseas. It nicely handles multiple simultaneous video feeds.
- Apple Podcasts – I subscribe to a number of podcasts that I listen to regularly, including Health, Hope & Inspiration, which is a podcast we produce for Cancer Treatment Centers of America. By subscribing through iTunes, my podcasts are served up to me through this simple, yet powerful Podcast app.
- Safari – Once again I have tried other search engine apps on my iPhone — but for this device, Safari serves me best.
I am on the road about half of my life. When I travel it is important that I have good real-time information to make travel as efficient and convenient as possible.
- Waze – This is by far my favorite GPS program. Waze is especially good at finding alternative routes when traffic is backed-up. I often discover shortcuts I would never have known about except for the directions of Waze.
- TripIt – When booking flights, hotels, restaurants, and meetings, TripIt helps keep everything in order. It provides a convenient interface to checking-in to flights as well.
- OpenTable – This app allows me to quickly review local restaurants and make reservations for business meals.
- Dark Sky Weather – I was recently introduced to this up-to-the-minute GPS driven weather app. It has awesome graphics, great information, and it can be set up for multiple locations.
- World Clock – If you need to know what time it is, in another part of the world, this simple app does the trick.
- Google Calendar – I periodically change the app I use to manage my calendar, but the app I am currently using is Google Calendars. It provides a lot of flexibility and interfaces with all my other software nicely.
- Evernote – This is the ultimate note-taking and document filing app. Notes can be categorized and saved for easy retrieval. This app interfaces with Evernote on my laptop, so I can take notes on my phone and review them on my laptop.</li style=”margin-bottom:10px”>
- WorkFlowy – This app syncs with my laptop, as well. However, it is good for only one thing – making lists. It is the ultimate list making program. I literally use it every day.
- Office Lens – This app allows me to make pictures of documents, business cards, and whiteboards clear and readable. Files can be saved in multiple formats, including PDF.
- Dropbox – Dropbox is my primary choice for cloud storage. This Dropbox app allows me to access essentially any file on our cloud drive.
Interestingly, the apps I regularly use on my iPad are somewhat different than these because of the larger screen. In an upcoming blog I will review my most used iPad apps, as well. I hope you find this information helpful and interesting.
Let me know what apps YOU are using to make your life more interesting, organized, and productive…
Let Infinity Concepts help your organization effectively communicate with an ever-changing culture. Contact us today!