Thomas Edison once said, “Good fortune is what happens when opportunity meets with planning.” Unfortunately, organizations often fail to plan ahead, and not just for new opportunities, but for the routine fundraising opportunities that occur every single year.
#GivingTuesday. Christmas. End-of-Year Giving. Your Annual Gala. The list goes on …
Even though these events and seasons happen each year, they still seem to sneak up on you, and before you know it, you’ve missed out on opportunities to fundraise and promote your organization.
If this scenario feels familiar, you are not alone. If you constantly find your organization in a pattern of being reactive instead of proactive, one simple tool can be a gamechanger.
What is this “life-changing” tool? A fundraising calendar! I know, it doesn’t sound revolutionary, right?
But you will be amazed at the impact that a well-developed fundraising calendar can have at helping you reach your organization’s fundraising and marketing goals.
Three Benefits of a Fundraising Calendar:
- It allows your organization to see the big picture
- It allows your organization to think strategically
- It allows your organization to be more creative
Ready to get started? Here are three simple tips for developing a fundraising calendar:
1. Identify all the key fundraising seasons and dates for your organization and mark them on the calendar.
2. Write down the date for when each fundraising and marketing touchpoint should be received by your audience (direct mail appeal, email appeals, Facebook campaigns, etc.)
3. Now that you have identified when you want to deliver key fundraising touchpoints, mark down the appropriate due dates for the assets needed for your campaigns (letter copy, graphic design, etc.)
Keep in mind that your fundraising calendar is a living document. While the touchpoints and dates may shift, your organization now has a clear road map, with established due dates, for all your major campaigns and fundraising seasons!
The final step? Keep this calendar visible so that it can be seen by your team!
I always found it helpful to use a large dry erase wall calendar, plus add the key dates to a shared Google Calendar with my team.
So, print it out, hang it up, make it your computer background—whatever you need to do. Just make sure it doesn’t stay buried in a stack of papers or a file on your computer.
Let Infinity Concepts turn your fundraising plans into action!
CLICK HERE or call us today at 724-733-1200.