Radio can be a viable part of any media plan if it is used strategically. Knowing the strengths of radio and how and when it reaches its audience can help you to target radio listeners effectively for your advertising needs.
Nielsen Media recently released a list of its top reports from last year, and one of the most popular reports was the guide called Audio Today 2019. Published in June 2019, this report highlights some interesting facts about radio.
What are those facts? The following are some that stood out to me:
- 92% of Americans 18-plus listen to radio each week, accounting for about 244.5 million listeners.
- Radio reaches more Americans than any other media platform.
- Every age group listens to radio, from 12-17- year-olds, with 93% listening, to those 25-54 years old, with 99% listening each week.
- Whether they are Black, White, or Hispanic, everyone listens to the radio.
- Men and women listen almost equally to the radio.
- Radio listening starts at 6-7 AM, peaking during weekday drive times and at midday on weekends.
- At least 2/3 of all listening happens out of home, and 2/3 of that is in the car.
- Top formats for all listeners are Country, Adult Contemporary, Pop Contemporary Hit Radio, and News/Talk.
- Contemporary Christian Radio ranks 10th overall, and 7th with Teens.
So, what is our take-away from all this? Well, for one thing, if you want to reach a massive, diverse audience, this is one of the best media to accomplish that.
Radio is free and easily accessible. People now listen to the radio on their mobile devices, laptops, tablets, and even smart speakers, with at least 70% of smart speaker owners using their device to listen to the radio.
Radio is also about shared experience and trust. It’s not just about the music, but also the on-air personalities. People tune in to the radio to listen to someone they trust. According to one study, 86% of radio listeners perceive a “deep connection” to the talent, and 74% say they value their opinion and perspective. By far, it is the most trusted medium today.
As an advertiser, you can reach your listeners at just the right time with your message. You can catch them as they are on their way to make a purchase, targeting them with your message to make sure that the purchase they make is your product.
Any good advertising campaign recognizes that radio alone is not the answer, but in combination with other media, and relying on radio’s strengths, it can be a dynamic part of a media package that is sure to get good results for your client.
Let Infinity Concepts help you plan your radio buy.
CLICK HERE or call us today at 724.733.1200 X26.