If you’ve been involved in marketing for your organization or ministry, you’ve probably heard the term “display advertising” used at some point. But with all of the various digital marketing terms that get tossed around, often interchangeably, the definition and understanding of these strategies can get a bit foggy. Display advertising is often at the top of the list.
But don’t fret! We’re here to give you a clear understanding of display advertising and how you can utilize it for your organization.
What Is Display Advertising?
Display ads are graphic ads that go across all devices, appearing on websites or apps, using specific targeting strategies. You might also hear these referred to as banner ads. You probably see and even engage with display ads every single day on your favorite website or app.
When Should I Use Display Advertising?
Display advertising can be a highly effective tool in your marketing toolbox especially when you are looking to build strong brand or product awareness. Because of the visual nature of display ads, they allow you to build consistent recognition with your target audience. Your audience needs to see your brand multiple times before it will begin to stick with them. The rule of seven has been a dominant theory in marketing. It states that a person has to see or hear your brand’s marketing seven times before they would buy from you. However, with the growing amount of marketing messages vying for people’s attention every day, that number has probably increased significantly.
So now that you know what display advertising is and when you should use it, let’s take a look at the targeting strategies that can be utilized in display ads to help you reach your target audience!
Display Advertising Targeting Options
We recommend that you first start by identifying the geographic area that you want to reach. It could be a country, state, city, or even as specific as a building, but it’s important that you understand where your audience is physically located.
Next, there are four targeting strategies that can be utilized in your display advertising campaign:
1. Behavioral Targeting: Advertisers can utilize behavioral categories to show display ads to specific consumers based on what they’ve shown interest in and their past behaviors.
Internet users leave breadcrumbs of data about their behaviors, which includes key data such as online actions, locations, form submissions, and more. This data is compiled into Behavioral Categories that can be targeted with your organization’s ads.
2. Keyword Targeting: Show your display ads on articles, websites, and apps that contain keywords related to your organization or campaign.
3. Retargeting: As we touched on earlier, most people don’t convert the first time they visit your website. That’s why utilizing retargeting in your display ad campaign is important. A person comes to your website for the first time and they don’t convert. Ad tracking technology allows you to gather information about the user and continue to show them your ads across the Internet until they return to your website and convert.
4. Artificial Intelligence: Leverage the power of machine learning to target users based on who has already engaged with your display ads. With artificial intelligence targeting, your ad is shown to users with no targeting categories layered on. Data is collected and analyzed every minute on whoever is engaging with your campaign. Your display ads are then shown to more people who are like the people who have engaged with the ads.
My hope is that this introduction to display advertising clarifies any questions you have about this popular digital marketing strategy and gives you the confidence you need to launch your next campaign! Ready to get started? Infinity Concepts’ INSPIRE network offers advertisers an audience of over three million Christians for your display ads campaign!
Does your organization or ministry need help with digital media?
Let Infinity Concepts develop your strategy today! CLICK HERE or call us today at 724-733-1200.
- Unleashing the Power of Instagram Reels: 7 Proven Strategies for Your Organization - March 3, 2023
- Website Accessibility and Compliance for Nonprofits - December 30, 2022
- Three Digital Pivots to Bolster Your Fundraising - October 28, 2022