Since 2000, Google has been the top search engine on the Internet. Today, it claims 85% of search market share on the Internet. However, according to Google’s own admission, a shift is taking place in the search industry with Gen Z leading the way.
During the Fortune Brainstorm Tech conference, Google’s senior vice president Prabhakar Raghavan shared insights from the company’s internal research. “Almost 40% of young people when they’re looking for a place for lunch, they don’t go to Google Maps or Search, they go to TikTok or Instagram,” Raghavan explained.
You read that right! A staggering 40% of Gen Z prefer using TikTok and Instagram for search over traditional Google tools like Search and Google Maps. This trend underscores a significant shift toward ‘social search’, signaling a need for organizations to integrate their social media and search engine optimization strategies.
To get started, let us take a look at four strategies you can implement today to begin optimizing your social media presence for search opportunities on platforms such as TikTok and Instagram.
Four Tips to Position Your Social Content for Search
- Optimize Your Profile: When optimizing your social profiles for search, it is important to use a clear profile picture, a descriptive bio with relevant keywords and hashtags (as appropriate), and include a link to your website or a unique landing page that connects to your Instagram content using a platform such as Linktree.
- Use Relevant Keywords and Hashtags: As part of your integrated social media and SEO strategy, it is crucial to identify keywords relevant to your organization or niche and incorporate them into your posts and profile. Strategically using hashtags on platforms like Instagram and TikTok will help improve your search discoverability.
- Understand the Algorithm: Most social media platforms, including both TikTok and Instagram, utilize an algorithm that prioritizes content that is engaging, relevant, and timely. Your strategy must take into account how these algorithms value different content types (photos vs. long-form videos vs. short-form videos, etc.), user engagement, and post copy (including hashtags and keywords).
- Engage with Your Audience: If you want to stand out to users who discover your organization when searching on social media, a simple way to make a positive first impression is to engage with your audience and respond to comments and messages. Engagement in your content will increase your visibility in the algorithms while authentically showing that there are real people behind your organization.
At Infinity Concepts, we prioritize staying on the leading edge of advancements and trends in the digital marketing landscape. Our experienced team can guide you through developing social media content that will drive additional search traffic for your organization. CLICK HERE or call us today at 724-733-1200.
- From Google to Social: How Gen Z Is Shaping the Future of Search - February 2, 2024
- Are You Ready for Google and Yahoo’s New Email MarketingRequirements? - December 15, 2023
- Understanding Analytics: Nine Key Digital Metrics Every Fundraiser Should Measure - September 15, 2023